Sunday, July 30, 2006

Identity Crisis

I bought some foreign currency from Thomas Cook the other day, paying by debit card. Not only was I asked to provided identification in the form of a driving license or passport, they also wanted me to write my address on the card slip.

I can think of no good reason why they need this information. The counter clerk claimed it was demanded by my card issuer, but surely a card and a PIN should be sufficient proof of valid access to the funds. Another excuse I have been given in the past (although not on this occasion) is that it is anti money laundering. However, had I paid by cash no additional information would have been requested so it obviously wasn't that.

Apart from the invasion of privacy, this transaction resulted in the creation of a piece of paper containing my card details and my address - prime information for an identity thief. The clerk claimed it was in a secure environment, but I am sure that carelessness by financial services companies and staff corruption are prime sources for the identity underworld.

I am going to follow this up.

No comments: